Railcraft NSW Train Photos
CPH Rail Motors Number 1 and Number 7 in Grafton for the 75th Birthday of the Grafton Bridge
The bridge design was commenced shortly after the end of World War 1, in response to the growing demands of road and rail transport. When first planned, it was only intended for rail traffic. When they were mid-way through designing the bridge, it was decided to accommodate road traffic. This resulted in its unusual double-decker bridge structure and the kinks in either end. This is the only bridge in NSW to carry road and rail traffic on two seperate levels.
The Grafton bridge was first opened to road traffic on19 July 1932. The bridge was regarded as an important structure in the history of bridge construction. It carried the Pacific Highway on the upper deck, footpaths for pedestrian traffic on either side and an interstate railway line on the lower deck. When it opened in 1932 it completed the last gap in the line linking the capitals of NSW and QLD.
One of the most interesting features of the bridge was the bascule span, which was in operation until 1969. It allowed the centre of the bridge to be raised leaving a gap of around 21 metres wide, to allow ships up to 2 thousand tonne to pass through.
The Grafton Bridge is listed on the State Heritage Register, and is the only one of its kind in Australia.
The rail motors journeyed from Newcastle to Grafton to help celebrate the 75th Birthday of the Grafton Bridge.
These Rail Motors are part of the Rail Motor Society located at Paterson.
For more information contact email@example.com or